- Ban predetermination sex determination of fetus- banned
- Take Action against those using Ultra Sound Machines for fetal sex determination- rules in place, quite a few of the guilty brought to justice
- Rope in religious institutions to spread the message of equity between sexes- tried in many placed
- Educate the people about the ‘sin’ of sex selective abortion- programs undertaken
- Incentive for the parents of the girl children- in place.
It seems that when it comes to arresting the declining sex ratio, we are simply running out of ideas. Even the programs for women’s education does not seem to have had the desired impact-with desire for small families getting construed into desire for small families but with boys (as it said- minimum one boy and maximum one girl). While this is not to undermine the positives of women’s education, it just points out to the futility of external interventions. Whatever we try out, the results only show decline and further decline in the child sex ratio. In some places where it has shown improvement are usually those that came under the scanner for very low rates and have been under strict supervision. In some places, curb on foeticide has meant gruesome infanticide. Perhaps the lesson is to address the issue in people’s psyche. It will certainly be complex, long-term and riddled with contradictions, but given that external actions are just not working, rather than inhibiting access to medical facilities (that will further compromise the well-being of the women), we need to think of other ways to address the issue pertaining to low status of women.